Jews for Justice for Palestinians is a network of Jews who are British or live in Britain, practising and secular, Zionist and not. We oppose Israeli policies that undermine the livelihoods, human, civil and political rights of the Palestinian people.
We support the right of Israelis to live in freedom and security within Israel’s 1967 borders.
As well as organising to ensure that Jewish opinions critical of Israeli policy are heard in Britain, we extend support to Palestinians trapped in the spiral of violence and repression. We believe that such actions are important in countering antisemitism and the claim that opposition to Israel’s destructive policies is itself antisemitic.
We cooperate with other organisations on specific issues without necessarily endorsing everything they do. We work to build world-wide Jewish opposition to the Israeli Occupation, with like-minded groups around the world and are a founding member of European Jews for a Just Peace, a federation of Jewish groups in ten European countries whose principles include:
- condemnation of all violence against civilians in the conflict, no matter by whom it is carried out.
- recognition of Israel’s 1967 ‘green line’ borders;
- commitment to the Palestinians’ right to a state in the territories currently occupied by Israel in the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza;
- calling on Israel to acknowledge its part in the creation of the Palestinian refugee problem and its obligation to negotiate a just, fair and practical resolution of the issue.
What we do
Without justice for Palestinians, there is no hope for Israel.”
We organise meetings across the UK and produce information on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict—both printed and web-based at www.jfjfp.org
We assist Palestinian peace and humanitarian organisations including the International Solidarity Movement, United Medical Relief Committees and the Gaza Community Mental Health Programme.
We channel humanitarian aid through the British Shalom Salaam Trust, an independent grant-giving charity.
We provide practical support to the Palestinian economy: planting olive trees, supporting Zaytoun, a fair-trade organisation marketing Palestinian olive oil and encouraging fact-finding trips to the area.
We are helping to build a broad-based End the Occupation campaign in the UK and worldwide.
We lobby on issues relating to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, often in association with Palestinians.
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT…
- Peace in the Middle East will only come about with mutual recognition and respect and must be seen as just by both sides.
- Peace requires the end of illegal occupation and settlement.
- Violence against civilians is unacceptable.
- Israel’s policies in the West Bank and Gaza are breeding hatred and resentment.
- It is crucial that Jews speak out for Palestinians’ human rights.
- The values of Israeli society have been corrupted by the Israeli State’s human-rights abuses.
- A lasting peace must be seen as just by both sides.
- Britain, the EU, the USA, Russia and the UN must be persuaded to implement UN resolutions on Palestine.
To secure a lasting settlement to the conflict between Palestinians and Israelis so they can live in peace and security, thrive side by side, and co-operate together, Jews today are obligated to pursue justice on behalf of both peoples.”
Then, perhaps, we may at last see some justice for Palestinians.”
The list includes Helen Bamber,Geoffrey Bindman, Anthony Caro, Jenny Diski, Stephen Fry, Eric Hobsbawm, Nicholas Hytner, Miriam Karlin, Nicolas Kent, Mike Leigh, Miriam Margolyes, Jonathan Miller, Susie Orbach, Jacqueline Rose, Alexei Sayle, Antony Sher, Avi Shlaim, Gillian Slovo, Tom Stoppard, Janel Suzman and Zoë Wanamaker.
Jews for Justice for Palestinians gives expression to the many alternative views within the community.”
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Encourage Jewish friends, relatives and colleagues to join our growing list of signatories.
- Get involved with other signatories where you live.
- Write letters to the local and national press – JfJfP can help.
- Participate in fundraising for humanitarian and campaigning activities.
- Help distribute leaflets and posters about our activities and events and issues in Israel-Palestine.
- Get involved in organising meetings in your synagogue or area –JfJfP can supply speakers.
- Lobby your MP to speak out against the Occupation.
Students can contact the student group at email@example.com
OrganisationEveryone who joins as an individual is added to the general e-mail list and receives mailouts about once a week – but ask if you don’t want to receive them. If you are not on email, please send us 5 stamped SAEs for our monthly postal mailouts.
There is no membership fee, but donations to support our work will be gratefully received. We hold regular meetings in London and Manchester and work with others in Scotland and in Liverpool, Leicester, Norfolk and elsewhere. JfJfP is a national network; you can be a signatory as well as a member of one of these other groupings.
Some contact details:
Scottish Jews for a Just Peace – firstname.lastname@example.org
Manchester JfJfP – email@example.com
Merseyside Jews for Peace and Justice – via firstname.lastname@example.org
Just Peace Leicester – via email@example.com
Norfolk Jewish Peace Group – via firstname.lastname@example.org
JfJfP In the Community